Featured post

Pinned Post: Remembering Ilan Halimi

Tuesday, 12 April 2011

A Hierarchy of Victim Hood

I have never seen myself as a victim of anything else but of my own stupidity from time to time. The mantle of Victim hood always seemed quite vulgar to me. Yet, over the past 3 months or so, negotiating my way through Paris with moon boot and on crutches (due to a stress fractured ankle) I have somehow developed a sense of entitlement and when a fit looking young male wouldn’t cede me his seat de priorit√© in the bus, I made him.

As  he was moving away, I saw him limp and felt deeply ashamed, because by now I can move, albeit slowly, with one crutch. Getting out of that particular bus, I contortioned my face in fake pain and limped much more than I needed too, so that people would think me more entitled to that seat than I really was, I wanted to look like a victim too.  


Caroline Glick wrote about another kind of victim hood and the reporting by the Media of it.
Here she talks about a Hierarchy of victim hood and writes:
 
 


"...there is a clear pecking order of victim hood in identity politics:
Anti-American Third World national, religious and ethnic groups are at the top of the victim food chain. They out-victim everyone else.

After them come the Western victims: Racial minorities, women, homosexuals, children and animals.

Israelis, Jews, Americans, white males and rich people are the predetermined perpetrators. No matter how badly they are victimized, brave reporters will go to heroic lengths to ignore, underplay or explain away their suffering…”





Anyway, tomorrow I will throw away my crutches, ignore the seats de priorité in the buses and start taking the metro again, looooooong couloirs, steeeeeeep steps and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment