Featured post

Pinned Post: Remembering Ilan Halimi

Sunday, 20 April 2014

Happy Easter


Happy Easter also to our Orthodox friends who, this year, celebrate it on the same day as "we" do.

I was too busy eating Easter eggs and so have not done any research other than a quick  googling which tells me that many Orthodox churches base their Easter date on the Julian calendar, which often differs from the Gregorian one used by many Western countries. So more often than not, the Orthodox Easter period occurs later.

I seem to remember vaguely that it's only every 4 years or so when  both Easters are celebrated at the same date. Whenever I can I try to go to a Russian Orthodox Easter service - a spectacle which touches so many senses it gives you a high - incense, atmosphere, music, voices ...my favourite is a lovely little Russian church in the 15th Arr. in Paris, built around a tree which still stands in the centre of it. I  am told that the atmosphere around Easter in Greek Orthodox churches is similar.

Faithful to my sloppy modus operandi of the day, I have not researched this music either - just came across it and, although the singer seems to mime and the mise en scene is a little heavy-handed, the song seduced my soul.





 







The new Pope's Easter message  was a well meaning if  predictable statement of the obvious:

"We pray in a particular way for Syria, that all those suffering the effects of the conflict can receive needed humanitarian aid and that neither side will again use deadly force, especially against the defenceless civil population, but instead boldly negotiate the peace long awaited and long overdue..."


He speaks as if there were no more than 2 sides  to this terror and as popular as Pope Francis seems to be with the media, I wonder if his message will have any real effect.


Personally I prefer a message like the one that comes from geofffff, who wrote: 

"...I bought some Easter eggs and Hot Cross Buns this morning out of appreciation and respect for our Christian friends.

Also they are yummy."


:) 










   





No comments:

Post a Comment